Today is Election day 2012. I am so excited to have cast my vote. Most people are saying it is one of the most important elections in recent history. That’s because we have 2 candidates for President who have very different views on how America should be run. Aside from my personal preferences, the election got me to think about leadership. No, I am not talking about leadership of the candidate: I am talking about personal leadership.
I voted today because I am a leader. I take charge of my life. I determine the direction of my life and influence those around me. It was my daughters first time voting. It was exciting to see her take that first vote. We talked prior to the election about what was going on the world, the country, our state and our city. We also talked about her dreams and aspirations and how she saw herself in relationship to the rest of the world. Then we looked at what the candidates in all levels of government were talking about along with their records. The final question for her and myself were: whose values align with ours.
These are some important qualities of a leader.
1. You need to know how important you are to the process. You bring value as an individual no matter where you are even if it seems like you have a small role.
2. You need to see the BIG picture. We need to look at all of the possibilities and variables that come into play in a given situation.
3. We need to examine and sometimes reexamine our values to see how they fit into the big picture. The biggest value is heart.
4. You need to take action. It’s kinetic. Move yourself to action and you will influence others by your example.
With these leadership qualities, we will be effective and influential for the good of ourselves and mankind.
- My daughter and I. First time voter!
Happy Voting! Share your thoughts @ www.Lifecoachrn.wordpress.com
Naomi D. Jones RN – The Life Coach RN
Naomi is a Registered Nurse and a Certified Life Coach specializing in helping Nurse Executives “Live Smarter Not Harder” Find me on: www.LifeCoachRN.com